My name is gaurangi mehta shah. I was born and brought up in Mumbai, India but over the last 11 years got the chance to travel to many places in the world. Extensive travelling to other countries, facing the constant change, uncertainties and trying to adapt has brought about certain anxieties and the feeling of not belonging. A nomadic life is exciting but has its challenges. The positive side – it has allowed me the space to reflect, introspect and explore parts of myself which, I am seeing in my art. I am largely self-taught in acrylics, oil paints and mixed-media.
In hindsight when I look back to my choice of work, it seems to have revolved around the creative axis, I have been a web-designer, a pre-school teacher with over-imaginative kids, a story-teller for children, an ardent fan of recycling objects into pieces of art and since the last 5 years, creating art.
I am largely inspired by Freud and Jung and the ordinariness of life which invokes my imagination.
Behind every face is a story. Story of our self. Story of our internal and external journey. Stories of our lives, our experiences, our emotions. Stories of our world. Our memories. Our moments.
Art taps into our subconscious and finds its way out through colours, lines, marks, forms, symbols, all telling the story of us. It liberates, uplifts and inspires us in the end. My journey in art has allowed me to evolve. It has allowed me to express my feelings; of fears, triumphs, sorrow, anxiety and all the other qualities which make me human. I have been noticing that after every artwork I feel like I am standing on a cloud and this makes me want to create more and more.
This is an ongoing transformation. I feel like a butterfly slowly coming out of a cocoon. Freed more from self-imposed constraints, with each passing date. I express my stories drawing inspiration from my own experiences and my own life.
my ongoing journey of exhibitions and sold works
- 2019 – group exhibition in Colours of Spring – 11, Cymroza Art gallery, Mumbai, India
- 2018 – exhibition of recycled products – Transformations in Shaadi Sakhi, Mumbai, India. Sold some pieces.
- 2017 – 4 sketches sold and printed in a book ‘La tercera ladera del Rio’, Chile
- 2017 – group exhibition in Vision and Reality, Essex Art Exchange, Essex, UK
- 2016 – 2 paintings printed in Botch magazine Autumn, Essex, UK
- 2015 – group exhibition in Kritvi creations in Lima, Peru. Sold one painting.
- 2008 – media and newspaper coverage of my story-telling class – katha at Banjara hills, Hyderabad